If you are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must request your 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript from the IRS and submit it to our office.
You can request your IRS Tax Return Transcript online or by calling 1-800-908-9946. You can choose whether your Tax Return Transcript will be displayed to you online or mailed to you at the address on your tax return.
- Click on Get Your Tax Record. If at any point, you cannot validate your identity (for example, you cannot provide financial information or you lack access to a mobile phone), you may use the Get Transcript by MAIL option.
- Enter the tax filer's Social Security Number, email address, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card associated with your name, and mobile phone associated with your name. Click Continue.
- Select Tax Return Transcript (not Tax Account Transcript) and in the Tax Year field, select 2016.
- If successfully validated, you will be able to view your IRS Tax Return Transcript online. Write the student's name and ID on it, then submit it to UW-Stout along with your completed Verification Worksheet.
- If you need to go back and Get Transcript by Mail instead, you will need the address you used on your tax return. If you are having trouble with the address section, the IRS may have "standardized" your address when they processed your tax return. To find your "standardized" address, go to www.usps.com and click on Look Up a Zip Code. Enter your address and click Find.
Note: If you have filed an amended tax return, you must ALSO request a Tax Account Transcript in addition to the Tax Return Transcript. Please return both forms along with page 1 and 2 of your 1040X.