Winterm & Summer

Information on applying for Winterm & Summer classes with helpful step-by-step guides to view your enrollment date and search for courses.
In this Section

Winterm Registration is Open - Register Today!

Winterm and Summer course searches are available on Access StoutUW-Stout Students can follow these helpful step-by-step guides to view your enrollment date and search for courses.

New Students can search classes by selecting "Search for classes" on Access Stout. For additional help finding classes, please use our Class Search Walkthrough guide.

For the Winterm, four credits is the maximum amount students may register for.

For Summer, the maximum credit load to register is 12 credits for undergraduate students and 10 credits for graduate students.

Requests for an exception in special circumstances must be approved by the appropriate program director. Due to the compressed schedule of instruction, it is recommended that at most one credit per week be taken during the summer session(s) for which the student is enrolled. Students may not register for classes that conflict with another class on their schedule. The program director's signature (if approved) must accompany the registration. 

Students who register for more than the above limits with written approval and find they cannot carry the added courses will be responsible for all course fees incurred unless the course is dropped within the refund period.

Are you a non-Stout student wanting to take courses?

For new non-degree seeking students who are not continuing on to the next term, a Summer/Winterm Session Registration Form must be filled out online and submitted. Once the Summer/Winterm Session Registration form has been received and processed, an email will be sent out with further instructions for completing the Student Account Contract, which is required before registration can begin.

After completing your Student Account Contract, follow these helpful step-by-step guides to view your enrollment date and search for courses. To search for courses you can use this Access Stout link without an account.

Degree-Seeking Students

Degree-seeking students who are new and want to take a Summer or Winterm course should contact Admissions to backdate/change their admit term to Summer or Winterm.  A Summer/Winterm Session Registration form does not need to be submitted for degree-seeking students.      

High School Students

High school special (non-degree) students must have their application for admission signed by one parent or guardian and a high school guidance counselor or principal. Transcript and fee are not required.

If a course you are registering for requires a prerequisite you completed at an institution other than UW-Stout, then you must forward an official transcript to UW-Stout Admissions Office to confirm completion of the prerequisite.

Course Listing

A complete listing of courses is available on Access Stout.

Additional Information

University Housing

Information about Summer housing availability can be found on the Summer Housing tab on the Housing Apply web page.

Campus Card

The University of Wisconsin-Stout transitioned to a new photo ID card starting Fall 2015. The University of Wisconsin-Stout BlueCard replaced our existing Stout OneCard which was issued by Higher One. The new BlueCard is an instant-issue photo ID card with all of the same on-campus functionality. Any students or employees who have not received their new BlueCard may pick up their card at the Campus Card Office, 110 Price Commons.


Textbooks and other required resources for your classes are available for loan at Instructional Resources Service (IRS) located on the west side, second floor, of the Library Learning Center. More information regarding textbook rental can be found on the Instructional Resource Services/Textbooks website.

On-Campus Childcare

The Child and Family Study Center offers programming for children ages six weeks through six years. The Child and Family Study Center will be open from June to August, and has several available programs. More information can be found on the Child and Family Study Center website.

Parking Permit

Summer parking permits are available through the Parking Services office. Students can stop in the Parking Office to purchase the permit. If they are unable to stop in, call Parking Services and someone in that office can take payment over the phone and mail the permit.