College Level Exam Program (CLEP)
CLEP exams allow you to earn UW-Stout college credit in subject areas you already know. Find out how!
- You can earn between 3 and 16 credits based on your exam score for only $112 ($87 paid to CLEP, $25 paid to UW-Stout)
To take a CLEP exam:
- Go online to College Board website and pay for the exam you want to take.
- CLEP Exams > Register for CLEP Exams > Select desired exam
- Call the Advisement Center at 715-232-1465 to schedule a time to take the exam.
- Study! Exam descriptions, study guides, and other information can be found on the College Board website.
Credit from CLEP:
- Review the CLEP Exam/Course Equivalent Chart located on the UW Stout Prior Learing Credit website to determine which CLEP exams will transfer to UW-Stout. Students must score 50 or higher to receive credit.
Additional computer-based testing (DANTES/DSST)
UW-Stout offers DANTES/DSST testing. DANTES/DSST allows students to take examinations for college credit based on knowledge gained through independent study, advanced high school/non-credit adult courses, professional development, etc. DANTES/DSST exams cost $110 ($85 paid to DANTES/DSST, $25 paid to UW-Stout), but may be free to service members and veterans. Learn more about DANTES/DSST here.
Credit from DANTES/DSST:
- Review the DANTES/DSST Course Equivalent Chart located on the UW Stout Prior Learing Credit website to determine which DANTES/DSST exams will transfer to UW-Stout. Students must score 400 or higher to receive credit.